Arts and Crafts
The department of Masaya is the least extensive and most populated department in the country. Despite being the smallest department, it is riddled with various attractions. Cultural styles and products of its small and beautiful cities preserve part of the indigenous heritage of our country. The City of Masaya, also called the city of flowers, is located 27 km south of Managua.
The city of flowers is filled with halls of art, fashion and many memories. It features a unique artisan market between its high stone walls designed in colonial style; shopping becomes something special.
Craft production is very important in the department. We can say that it is the center of Nicaraguan crafts, with very strong pre-Columbian culture. The towns of Catarina and San Jose de Oriente stand out for their artisan trajectory. The department focuses primarily on working wood, leather, ceramics, stone, and knitting; shoes and leather products are also produced industrially.
We invite you to intensely experience the artisan route of this beautiful department and the traditional processes that these families work with every day, visit us!
- Depart Managua at 7 am, make a stop at Mi Viejo Ranchito (Nicaraguan food restaurant) at 7:40 am approx., to enjoy a delicious breakfast of Quesillo and Tiste.
- Arrive at Catarina at 9:00 am, visit the bamboo workshop (tour and explanation) at 9:10 to 9:50.
- Visit and tour sculpture workshop from 10:00 to 10:45, and around then 11:00 to 11:45 we will visit the Catarina viewpoint and its surroundings.
- From 12:00 to 1:20 we can stop for lunch in a typical Nicaraguan food restaurant.
- Arrive at San Juan de Oriente to the artisans cooperative at 1:40. Then explanatory tour of utilitarian craft workshop and the opportunity to experience working with clay and a potters wheel from 2:30 to 3:20.
- Arrive at the Masaya arts and crafts market around 3:50pm, we will then visit the central park at 4:30 (opportunity to have dinner and excellent natural smoothie.)
Estimated return to Managua is 7pm.
- Private transportation with air-conditioning.
- Breakfast (Quesillo and tiste).
- Visit and tour of a bamboo carpentry workshop.
- Visit and tour a concrete sculpture workshop.
- Visit Catarina Viewpoint.
- Entrance to Catarina Viewpoint.
- Visit and tour to an artisan cooperative in San Juan del Oriente.
- Visit and tour of arts and crafts workshop in San Juan del Oriente.
- Live the experience working with a lathe or potters wheel.
- Visit the arts and crafts market in Masaya.
- Visit Masaya Central Park
- Souvenir from a bamboo workshop.
- Souvenir from the artisan cooperative.
- Fruit (Seasonal)
- Tour Guide
- Extra Activities
- Personal Expenses
- Lunch and Diner
Price per person (tax included):
2 PAX: 101.25 $
4 PAX: 63.39 $
6 PAX: 58.87 $
8 PAX: 44.90 $
10 – 15 PAX: 40.03 $